Power BI general availability
Self Service Business Intelligence is the holy grail for many organisations. The ability to let users explore data by themselves and “cut the cord” with the IT department enables data driven decision making to improve business processes and identify new opportunities. Microsoft’s vision is cloud based, mobile friendly and priced very competitively – Power BI general availability was announced for the 24th July
After half a year with the beta version, Microsoft announced last Friday the good news and also added a full list of new features and capabilities.
Some of the exciting news are:
Power BI Desktop:
Currently the Power BI Designer is the preview of the Power BI Desktop. Contacts us for a free demo.
This is Microsoft’s new interactive reporting tool that includes powerful new visual data exploration and formatting.
The Power BI Desktop will be enhanced to include:
- New visualizations including matrix, area, waterfall, and donut charts.
- New visualization formatting such as color setting, titles, labels, and legends.
- New data source support with Zendesk, Intuit Quickbooks Online, AppFigures, GitHub, Twilio, and SweetIQ.
- Direct connection to SQL Server Analysis Services tabular models for data exploration.
Power BI web authoring and data exploration enhancements
The Power BI service has been enhanced with increased web-based authoring capability making it easier to create and format visualizations for dashboards and reports though the browser.
Power BI as an open source project
Microsoft is opening its commercial grade visualization framework and visuals built on D3.js, enabling customers and partners to easily extend and build custom visuals which will be available to use in Power BI in your dashboards, reports and content packs.
Power BI connects to other services
Due to his corporations with other companies, Power BI can easily connect to other services. A subscriber to a supported service can quickly connect to their account from Power BI and see their data through live dashboards and interactive reports that have been pre-built for them. One of them is the corporation with Mailchimp or Salesforce.
Direct connection to Apache Spark
Power BI users can connect directly to SQL Server Analysis Services, Azure SQL Database, and Azure SQL Data Warehouse, querying live against these data sources. Power BI now extends this support to Apache Spark for Big Data scenarios. Big data can be directly accessed with connected dashboards and reports that query live to the data from the popular Apache Spark open source framework.
And here is a full list of features that will be available in Power BI
- Globally available and localized to 44 languages
- New visuals – Tree Map, Combo Chart, Funnel, Gauges, Area Map, Waterfall, Donut, Area Chart, Matrix and others.
- Team collaboration and enhanced Excel support
- Significantly enhanced Power BI Desktop (renamed from Designer)
- Native touch optimized mobile apps for iOS, Android and Windows
- Rich control over visual coloring, including conditional formatting in Reports
- Visual formatting and customization in Reports (Title, Background Color, Legend, Data Labels, and X/Y axis for Cartesian charts)
- Support for Hyperlinks in Reports and report tables
- Report publishing directly from Power BI Desktop to the PowerBI.com service
- New styling, look and feel
- Simple and categorized Get Data Experience
- A dozen ISVs delivered content packs for Power BI, providing rich, out-of-the-box reports and dashboards for a variety of popular business services (Acumatica, appFigures, Google Analytics, MailChimp, Microsoft Dynamics Marketing, QuickBooks Online, SQL Server Database Auditing, SweetIQ, Twilio, UserVoice, Visual Studio Online)
- Four direct query sources enabling users to build Power BI reports and dashboards without the need to move data (Azure SQL Database, Azure SQL Data Warehouse, SQL Server Analysis Services, Spark on Azure HDInsight)
- Easy import of CSV files
- Support for connecting and refreshing from on-Premises data sources
- Enhanced data modeling in Power BI Desktop (Calculated Columns, Data Categorization, Smart DAX Formula Editor, 12 new DAX functions)
- Enhanced data transformation and mashup capabilities in Power BI Desktop with ten new transformation functions
- Direct report exploration over Analysis Services tabular model from Power BI Desktop
- Building and publishing Organizational content packs
- Power BI Groups to enable collaboration on a jointly owned set of datasets, reports and dashboards
- Browser rendered Excel reports in Power BI
- Power BI REST API
- Support for real time dashboards over massive data streams through Azure Stream Analytics
- Open source Power BI visualization stack to enable Developers to starting building custom visuals
- Developer samples and test bed for getting started quickly using the REST API
- New community forum site at community.powerbi.com
- Many, many more small but impactful enhancements sprinkled all across the product
Also the Power BI app for Android is now available
Ask us for a free demo!
MailChimp Power BI – working together beautifully!
We from Agile BI always knew that Power BI is amazing. But now even more amazing things are possible with the corporation of MailChimp and Power BI.
MailChimp: More than 8 million people and businesses around the world use the popular tool to send their marketing emails, automated messages, and targeted campaigns. So do we soon for our fortnightly newsletter.
Power BI: Helps you to share, find and visualise.
These two programs in connection help you to visualise your data as you have never seen it before.
This is the dashboard you will see when you have provided credentials and given MailChimp access to Power BI.
Businesses can analyse their data now like data scientists. There are no coding skills necessary. Each tile in this colourful puzzle as you can see in the pic above lets you dig deeper into data heaven and visualises it in a manner that is easily understood.
- Four pages of reports will be provided from Power BI.
- Cross filter between particular entries like product name and visualise it by other selections.
- For customisation use the “pinning” option for certain entries and load them to the dashboard. Resize them and edit them as often as you want.
- On top of the dashboard is also a question box located to ask questions about your data. Try “Show total emails by campaign title” or “Show total clicks by location on a map”. Those results can also be pinned to your dashboard.
You want to visualise in which area the email subscribers are most engaging? There is a map for it!
The corporation of Power Bi and MailChimp helps you to keep focused on your most important email data metrics and gives you an easy understandable and visualised insight in your data.
Agile BI will switch soon because of this new incorporation from our existing platform to MailChimp to enjoy these advantages.
We from Agile BI support you to gain information about Power BI with the following options:
- Come to one of our introductory or intermediate Power BI workshops in Sydney. The next one happens soon. Agile BI Power BI workshops
- Or we come to you and show you in a Power BI demo session what is possible
Contact us for more information:
Sorry, no posts matched your criteria
Agile BI is a leading Data Analytics consulting firm based in Sydney. We are a Gold Microsoft partner with fully-certified experienced people that can implement, tailor, and support Microsoft Business Intelligence products and solutions.
- Announcing the new Power BI Video Gallery and Ask a Partner Anything live event 29 Mar 2017
- Webinars 3/30-5/31: R Script, Marketing Insights, Modeling Deep Dive, New Flow Features, Power BI Embedded, and Visualization Best Practices from Marco Russo 28 Mar 2017
- Power BI Mobile apps feature summary – March 2017 27 Mar 2017
- The Power of SharePoint 23 Mar 2017
Get in touch
1300 441 618
(02) 8088 7440
Suite 2, Level 1, 18-20 York Street, Sydney, NSW 2000